Thinking about a career in conservation or animal care? If so, then the wildlife conservation internships we offer are the perfect place to get your feet wet. We offer internships in a variety of fields, with each position taking you in-depth – far beyond regular volunteer duties.
We don't accept just anyone to our program. First, we'd like to know a little bit about you. When you fill out a registration form, tell us what attracted you to The Rescue Center Internship Program. Please also include your current area of study or intended endeavor.
Wildlife conservation internships do have requirements:
- 20 years of age or older and in good physical condition.
- Have an educational background (undergraduates or graduates) in one of the following fields: Biology, Resource Conservation, Ecology, Environmental Education, Veterinarian Medicine, Wildlife Management, or Zoology.
- Be willing to make a firm commitment to work a minimum of at least three months.
- Be interested in sharing your knowledge and to stimulate interest in volunteers for the protection and the conservation of wildlife.
- Be responsible, hard-working, communicative, and enthusiastic.
- Be prepared to live in adverse weather conditions including warm temperatures and often rain.
Interns who are accepted will be required to pay for their own travel expense plus $25 a day which is half the normal price. The $25 a day covers transportation to/from airport, lodging, and food.
Each and every year we do accept one lucky intern for the "Jairo Mora Honorary Internship". The winner of this internship will receive all travel expenses to and from Costa Rica as well as housing and food for the duration of the stay. This special package is in memory of Jairo Mora Sandoval, a local Costa Rican conservationist who strived to become a biologist before his tragic death in 2013.
To learn more about Jairo Mora please click here.
To be considered for the "Jairo Mora Honorary Internship" please email Vanessa direct at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line JAIRO. Describe in full detail why you feel that you should be considered for the honorary internship. The winner is chosen each year on May 31st, which is the anniversary of his death. Winners will have dedicated page on the website detailing their accomplishments at the Rescue Center.
Jairo Mora and Rescue Center founder, Vanessa Lizano.