Thinking about a career in conservation or animal care? If so, then the Rescue Center is the perfect place to get your feet wet. We always have a full-time volunteer coordinator on staff who is responsible for handling the day to day duties at the program.
We don't accept just anyone to our program. First, we'd like to know a little bit about you. When you fill out a registration form, tell us what attracted you to our program. Please also include your current area of study or intended endeavor.
Volunteer Coordinator Internships do have requirements:
- 20 years of age or older and in good physical condition.
- Be willing to make a firm commitment to work a minimum of at least four weeks.
- Be interested in sharing your knowledge and to stimulate interest in volunteers for the protection and the conservation of wildlife.
- Be responsible, hard-working, communicative, and enthusiastic.
- Be prepared to live in adverse weather conditions including warm temperatures and often rain.
Volunteer Coordinators who are chosen will stay for free at our program and receive lodging, food and all local transportation. You also receive a cash salary of $100 a month to go towards any extra incidentals you may need. However, you are required to pay your own travel expense to Costa Rica.
As a Volunteer Coordinator you will be expected to handle the following daily responsibilities:
- Manage the morning/afternoon volunteer meetings.
- Teach volunteers how to prepare the food in the animal kitchen.
- Check-in new arriving volunteers and ensure they are ready to handle their daily responsibilities.
- Plan and oversee fun activities during volunteer free-time.
- Take a more active role than volunteers in handling the animals.
- Work direct with the veterinarians in order to bridge the gap with volunteers.
- Help manage the website as well as the social media channels.
- Be available at all times to communicate the needs of the volunteers to the manager of the program.